Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Connect on Twitter by using Connect

Twitter can be an effective marketing tool, if used wisely. Today, we'll explore one feature, which may help you in your quest to promote.

There are some who say the best way to promote on Twitter is through sharing aspects of your personal life, such as breakfast menus, daily activities, or hobbies. Maybe that works for them, but, given the multitude of social sites and other promotional duties in the current lives of authors, such personal digressions seem a waste of time to me.

Although I occasionally get sidetracked by award shows which I love to tweet about, or events I attend, and confess to sometimes let slip my political opinions, I'm mainly on Twitter to promote my brand and help others do so as well.

When I tweet about my book or someone else's, how do I know if anyone is paying attention, or cares about my tweets?

Simple. Twitter has this handy button called Connect. By clicking on it, my Twitter stream is narrowed down to those who follow me, as well as those who retweet or reply to what I post. Those people are especially important to pay attention to and reward. 

I reward the followers who seem legitimate by following them back. I reward those who reply to my tweets by clicking their Twitter handles, going to their sites, and retweeting something they've posted. I usually scan for what they've said about their own books or endeavors, and not what they've retweeted about others. That method will benefit them the most. For those who reply to one of my tweets, I either answer or click to favorite their reply.

These are basic ways I use the Connect button to build my brand on Twitter.Once you've done all you can with Connect, you can click onto one of the other buttons and do more to enhance your branding. We'll explore these other possibilities at a later date. 

Have you tried any of my methods? Or, perhaps you've never paid attention to the Connect button before, but will now. What are your thoughts?

Connect with me on Twitter at
@Morgan Mandel

Facebook: 

Amazon Author Page: 


19 comments:

  1. I'm just now starting to look at twitter as a promotional and informational tool, but I'm also looking at the other social media tools beyond Facebook and Twitter such as Pinterest. I'm curious what experience other folks have with the various social sites. Thanks for the information in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots we can do at all of them! We'll need to go in depth for each.

    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't used this but am planning on going there now. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it very helpful and revealing!

    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the connect button to make sure I don't miss any RTs or mentions. It's so much easier to return the favor that way. Has anyone linked their Facebook and Twitter accounts? My publisher recommended this and it's helped me on Twitter. I have met four new people on Twitter that way as they have either Rt'd me or messaged me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time I did link the two, but not any more. It could be hazardous, since on promo days I tweet every fifteen minutes.

      Delete
  6. Twitter is still a mystery to me. I'll try the connect button-if I can find it that is.
    Thank you Morgan for an informative post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll find it Margot Justes. I know it's a favorite of mine!

      Delete
  7. You are so right about how important it is to use the connect feature and respond to messages there. I have met so many new friends that way. And promoting for someone else is always better than promoting yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes for a better experience all around to promote for others, but I always throw in a tweet somewhere in the bunch for one or more of my books, so others can return the favor and not look high and low for something of mine to retweet!

      Delete
  8. Really good advice. I like that you reward your followers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much better all around to retweet than to send a message thanking for a retweet. Also, retweeting when not prompted to do so is a good way to build relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morgan,

    Twitter is something I have yet to try. I'll have to file your post away in a folder so I keep your advice in mind when I finally getting around to Tweeting! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debra,
    You'll find tweeting very simple, once you get use to sparse sentences.

    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Morgan,

    Thanks for this information. I've rarely tweeted, but would like to know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jacqueline, I'll be offering more Twitter tips in the future, between guest post dates.

    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Morgan ~ I have to admit too, I have yet learned to tweet or twitter. You make it sound so easy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, Once you try it, you'll learn it's not difficult at all.

      Morgan Mandel

      Delete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.