Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Life Intrusions

It's difficult being a writer with another full-time job. I used to be able to find a balance, but lately, it's just not working. I have no time to devote to actual writing.

I've toyed with the idea of giving up my blogs. Would my presence be missed all that much? I know blogging is a good way to get your name out there, but if I'm not putting a product out there, what's the use of having my name out there? Luckily I had a release last month and I'll have another in January, but then that's it. I'm empty. I have several projects started, but no time to really develop or work on them to get them completed.

If I gave up blogging, and let's face it, it's not like I have millions of followers clamoring to find out what I'm posting each week, I could at least use that time each week to work on my writing.

But would I? Or would something else get in the way?

Like today for example...I'm in charge of the bake sale at church. I spent seven hours there yesterday setting up, a couple hours there this morning working the cash box, and will return later to finish selling and clean up.

I've been working on a new healthy-eating plan and trying to be better at working out in order to shed the almost twenty pounds I've gained in the past two years. And it's working. I'm losing weight and I feel better. But between preparing three meals a day and working out six days a week, once again there's no time left for writing.

And basketball season starts soon at school. That will mean two to three nights a week I'm not home. If I'm not finding time to write now, being gone in the evenings sure isn't going to help matters.

Like I said, despite all that, I used to be able to make it work. I could do all of those things and still find a little time to write. Not anymore. I don't know why it's so difficult now.

If you write and work another full time job and have other responsibilities, how do you do it? Without losing your mind.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

3 comments:

  1. So much promotion going on now that authors didn't need to worry about before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb ~ I've been struggling with (forcing) time to write for the last couple of years as well. I used to have the stamina to stay up late to work, not any more. But I also realize I'm not happy unless I'm writing. It's taken me over 20 years to get published because I couldn't do it all and keep my sanity. I wasn't willing to sacrifice my family in order to pursue my writing career. I wanted it all - just couldn't do it all at the same time. I think your priorities are smack on! Don't be so hard on yourself. Putting your family before your writing is good. They will be there to root you on later, their friends, their connections. Think of it as building your readership!! That's what happened to me!! :)
    DL

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.