Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

How Multi-Published Author, Lynn Cahoon, Handles the Vagaries of the Publishing World


Multi-published Lynn Cahoon is an Idaho native. Her stories focus around the depth and experience of small town life and love. Lynn’s published in Chicken Soup anthologies, explored controversial stories for the confessional magazines, short stories in Women’s World, and contemporary romantic fiction. Currently, she’s living in a small historic town on the banks of the Mississippi river where her imagination tends to wander. She lives with her husband and four fur babies.

Here's Lynn's positive take on the vagaries of the publishing world -

A Brave New World – Again
by Lynn Cahoon

Being a digital first author requires a person to be flexible. Right now, I feel like I’m doing the Russian Olympic Gymnastics team’s floor routine. Just when I think I know where things are going, the path changes. 

I’m a relatively new author. My first book release was June 2012 when Crimson Romance published The Bull Rider’s Brother. Crimson is an e-first or digital publishing imprint with F&W Media, the good folks who brought you the Cup of Comfort series as well as Writer’s Digest. 

The same month I got the offer from Crimson, I also got an offer for a paranormal romantic novella from Lyrical Press, A Member of the Council-Book 1 of The Council Series was released in November 2012. Along with the second bull rider book, The Bull Rider’s Manager.

Knowing the problems with branding cowboys and witchcraft, I still said yes to both.
I went on to sell three more books in 2012. I made goals to finish the two series and keep shopping new material to try to land a spot with one of the Big 6.

2013 I released those three romances and signed a three-book contract with eKensington for a cozy series. Guidebook to Murder-Book 1 of The Tourist Trap Mysteries releases in 2014, along with the other two books I wrote for the series this year. My fingers have been flying on the keyboard, trying to get everything done. 

Last week, I made my 2014 goals and I’m returning to my original 2013 goals – to finish the bull rider series and the Council series. This week, I got news. Lyrical Press sold to Kensington and will be an imprint for that publisher. So the two books I had up for sale in The Council Series, now have been pulled off the digital sales shelves and only exist in the e-readers of those who’ve already purchased the books or on my website. At least until the legal process with the changeover is done.

I went from having 8 books listed on my Amazon author page, down to 6. Even though I know what’s going on, it was a bit of a shock. I’m positive this will be a good move, however, it feels like at step backward.

I’m still reaching for that gold ring, traditional publishing. Working with my Kensington editor has been a joy. I’m learning more every day about the craft and business of publishing.

Who knows what else 2014 will bring? All I know is I’m in it for the long haul. I’m stretching my writer muscles every day, just in case.

If you want to see my pretty covers for The Council Series, stop by my website – 

Please leave a comment to welcome Lynn Cahoon to Book Beat Babes.


9 comments:

  1. Welcome to Book Beat Babes, Lynn. It's true, you never know what to expect from the publishing industry! By the way, I just love the cover for Guidebook to Murder! It's darling!

    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morgan. I am very please with my cozy cover. :)

      Delete
  2. The twists and turns the publishing industry is taking definitely is a challenge. But I have to believe Lyrical Press being bought by eKensington will be good for you. Good luck. "Guidebook to Murder" is a great cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking your right Barbara! I'm excited to be a romance and mystery author with Kensington. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Lynn, you certainly do have your fingers in a lot of pies, so to speak. I love cowboys and cozy mysteries, so your work would be right up my alley!

    Thanks for joining us at BBB today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I know. I'm a branding nightmare. I really am trying to focus. I loved writing the mysteries this year. Really stretched my writer muscles.

      Delete
  5. Lynn ~
    My goodness, you are a busy gal!! And that's a wonderful thing for a writer. Your cowboy books and cozy mysteries sound wonderful!
    Thanks for being a guest blogger today

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn,
    Welcome to BBB. You have indeed been busy.
    In the long run, things will work for the better. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.