Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Galleys and a Cover

The process for Family Secrets is moving along nicely. Rather quickly, too. I queried in January and we're already at the galley and cover stage.

I started galley proofing last night. With galleys I don't do a straight-through read-through from beginning to end. I actually start at the end and read the story backwards. This helps to take me out of the flow of the plot and concentrate on finding errors. This isn't the time to be changing phrasing or story elements, just looking for mistakes. Unfortunately, I've only made it through about twenty pages and have found several errors already. Mostly missing words. Maybe the editing part of this process moved a little too quickly in the first and second rounds. I'll do a little bit of this each day, and plan to get the galley back to my editor by the end of the week. We're heading out of town on Friday for Spring Break, so luckily this arrived with enough time for me to do the read-through before we head off.

What type of tricks do you use for edits at this stage?

Last week I also got the cover for Family Secrets. The cover itself is well-done. A beautiful image of the lake and skyline as the backdrop, kind of out of focus, with the hero and heroine in the front on the sand. Wild Rose always does a good job. However, this time around I felt the image didn't fit with the story. The hero looked too young. The nationalities didn't match with my descriptions. I was afraid the cover would not brand the story correctly and would result in disappointed readers. Either ones picking up the book based on the cover and not getting what they expected, or readers passing on the book because they through it was a particular type of story and missing out on a good read. :)

So, I did something I've never done before. I didn't approve the cover. Now this is a new thing at TWRP. In the past, the cover you got was the final cover unless there was a misspelling of your name or the title. Only recently has there been more of an approval type system. I was a bit nervous to do this, but I stated my concerns about the branding and got a very nice e-mail in reply saying if the cover didn't represent the story, they wouldn't want to use it, so they'd look for another couple. (The timing on this was good as well. The e-mail said I had three days to approve or comment on the cover. If no comment was received, it would be taken as an approval. I was just glad this arrived last week and not next when I'm gone for a week away from e-mail.)

Have you ever received a cover that didn't quite 'do it' for you and wasn't right for the story? What did you do about it?

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you stood up for yourself and told them the cover was wrong. For Girl of My Dreams, I asked for the hairstyle to be changed. Actually, later I realized the cover wasn't the best because it looked YA, when the book wasn't a YA. When I got the rights back, I found a better cover, and it made all the difference in the world. Girl of My Dreams is my most popular book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that your second cover for "Girl" gives a much better brand for it.

    Now I'm waiting with fingers crossed to see my second attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first book's cover didn't match my image of what it should be and I spoke up. The illustrator worked with me and although my editor didn't really like the tomahawk and water theme, I did and she agreed to go with it. Now I can't imagine it with a young girl on the cover that was the first choice. It's always good to speak up!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.