Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Sunday, June 1, 2014

An Urban Adventure

I am not a city girl. We live within a half hour (when there's no traffic...ha ha) of Chicago, but we rarely visit. Too many people. Too many buildings. Not enough trees.

But yesterday to celebrate a friend's fortieth birthday, we headed into the Windy City for an Urban Adventure: an on-line scavenger hunt through the city. And you know what? We had fun. I learned a lot of new things about the city, that I probably should be ashamed I didn't already know. My biggest regret was paying too much attention to getting from one clue to the next and not taking the time to explore further the places we stopped.

The area surrounding the Daley Center was surprisingly empty. The perfect opportunity to sight-see...but alas, after a few quick pictures of each team, we headed off to our starting point.

One of my favorite stops was the Tribune Tower. I could have spent hours looking at all of the stones from famous places around the world which are imbedded into the building. Truly fascinating. Placed around the building closer to the street were seats taken from Wrigley Field and painted (ala the Cow Statues from more than a decade ago) in honor of Wrigley's 100th Anniversary. I would have loved to take a closer look at each set.

We went into the Hard Rock Hotel and the Chicago Cultural Center. Somewhere in there is a copy of one of my books, but we didn't have time to stop to look for it. We did get to see them setting up for a very lavish wedding, though.

My husband had never seen the Bean before. I would have loved to take some pictures, since he stated more than once he won't be returning to the city anytime soon, but one member of our team was hyper-focused on our quest. As in hopping fences and running down the street against the flow of traffic.

All in all, we had a really great time, and when I return to the city, whenever that may be, I know just what things I want to stop and see first.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

1 comment:

  1. I worked in Chicago for many years, going there everyday, but never took the time to visit anywhere by near where I worked. In my single years, the DH and I couldn't afford much, and went to all the museums and zoos, as well as the beaches. Also, would go to the shows. Not as many shows there anymore.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.