Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Filling in the Holes

One thousand three hundred sixty-five.

That's how many words I wrote yesterday. Earlier in the week I probably wrote twice that many. So since mid last week I've written about 5,000 words. (I don't know the exact count, since I didn't look when I picked up the mss.) Maybe to some, this doesn't sound like much. If you're one of those people who can pound out thousands and thousands of words in a day. But for me, it was pretty spectacular. Not so much for the weekly word count, but moreso that this is also my yearly word count. I haven't written anything (aside from edits on my upcoming release) since early January. So for me this is huge, massive, colossal, and more.

I started with a read-through of my very 'dusty' WIP. It pulled me back into the story and gave me a point to start. Since then, I've done a brief outline of the story: what I have, how long each chapter is, and I jotted notes on what I thought was missing. At this point I figure I'm roughly about twenty pages from the finish. Which is right around those 5,000 words-ish. So if I can have another week like this past one, I'll be finished with the first draft of the story. Again...for me...super cool and exciting. I've been writing the story piece-meal. I already had a scene toward the end, but middle parts were missing. So those twenty pages/5,000 words will connect the dots and make the story cohesive.



Then it will be time to do some revising. No editing per se yet, but tightening of the story, making sure things are consistent, making sure I'm deep into both characters' POVs at the proper times, refining word choice, etc. After that I'll jump into copy edits.


After being away from my writing for a long, long while, it's really fun to be back in the flow again. I keep a notebook handy by my bed at night just in case an idea comes to me that I don't want to forget come morning light. In fact I have notes all over the place on whatever scrap of paper happened to be lying around at the moment. It's times like these I want to bottle up and put away, so on those days when I've just about decided to give up on writing, I can take it out and remember why I love it so much.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Debra! 5000 is a lot to me! Keep it up! And, yes, I have notes all over the place. Wish I were more organized!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once a writer ... always a writer. Don't give up! You'll kick yourself for not staying on the journey. And congrats to the word count! That's always something to cheer about!!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.