Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Hobby or Career?

For a long time I thought of my writing as a second career. And at times it felt like I dedicated as much time to it as to my full time job. Between writing, editing, promoting, blogging, and checking e-mail loops, there was quite a bit to be done.

Lately, though, I've gone from the career camp into the hobby camp. I've just found I need to shuffle some priorities and other things in life take precedence over writing. I'm not a regular attendee, to say the least, at my local RWA chapter meetings. And with the National RWA body making some changes as to qualifications for membership, which I do meet, I'm seriously reconsidering keeping my membership. I don't check loop e-mails on a regular basis. Most of the time I check my author e-mail once a week and delete most of the hundreds of e-mails that have accumulated. In the past I've tried my luck with submitting to Harlequin and had a few requests, although nothing ever came of it. At the time I was pretty bummed, but looking back now, I think it might have been one of those blessings in disguise.

I don't have time to write on a deadline. I am completely and utterly content writing on my own schedule. And I adore being part of The Wild Rose Press. I have found many advantages to being published by a small press, including having my very fist published novel, This Time for Always, still available in print form, even after six years. And it still sells. Which is really fun.

Do I make money writing as a hobby? Probably not. But I do more or less break even with what I make and what I spend on bookmarks, postcards, and my web-site. (Although I did over buy for This Feels Like Home and I have almost 20 books just sitting in my den collecting dust. I didn't make the same mistake with Family Secrets. Right now I have zero of those sitting around, so I will order a couple to just have on hand...just in case.

And when I find time to do it, I still enjoy writing. There's no pressure. There's no one peering over my shoulder urging me to writer faster because a deadline is looming. Yesterday I worked on galley edits for One Great Night, and it was a fun and relaxing day. And it got me excited about starting a new project. But I'm not going to stress if it doesn't happen right away. There's no rush.

So, yep, writing is my hobby. Will I ever be a New York Times Bestselling Author? Nope. And I'm good with that!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

3 comments:

  1. I like this attitude--it's definitely a stress-saver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm retired, yet can't keep up, so I can guess how you feel, Debra. I look at writing as owning my own business, where I set the rules. I haven't worked on my books in over a month, and have gotten caught up with projects around the house instead, plus vacations. I don't have deadlines, but am happy to get one book done per year. I admire those who can do more, but love the freedom of deciding when to work at writing and when not to. And those emails - I'm thinking of quitting some of the groups I belong to, since I spend way too much time deleting stuff in my inbox.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Deb. I've spent the last 20 years saying, "It's NOT a hobby!" I'm a writer. I enjoy being a writer. But I can't devote the time to marketing that I keep hearing others do. At the ILA conference, the gal I sat next to spends 5-6 hours a day marketing. She's making money, but I don't have that kind of time or desire to do that. Even so, I'm not ready to say this is all a hobby. Guess I'm too stubborn!! :)

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.