Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Friday, December 12, 2014

A Writer's Social Media Footprint



It’s difficult to go for very long these without somebody inventing a new app or social media tool/site.  For writers (especially Indies) this can be a deer-in-the-headlights moment because of the ever present drum beating to have a social media presence to sell your books and raise your discoverability quotient.

So, which one(s) do you choose?

Well, I’ve been thinking about that a lot lately but really haven’t had time to sit down and truly figure it out.  It’s difficult enough to find time to write let alone all do all the “business” work associated with any small business including writing.  I work a full-time, very demanding job and teach part-time which leaves me hungry for finding time to “veg” let alone write.  I slapped a few things up on the “traditional” sites such as Facebook some time ago but haven’t kept them as up-to-date as I would like and I know I have to change that.  So, the idea of adding yet more social media time vampires to my life are not that appealing.

However, I do get excited when I read an article about a site I’ve not heard of before such as the PW article referencing what BookShout is doing at SXSW 2015.  Here’s the link:


This actually looks promising for writers and the process itself signals just how much the writing/publishing/promoting landscape has changed, not only for Indie authors but for all authors, and even publishers as evidenced in yet another PW article about Hachette trying to sell books via Twitter:


The article references engaging directly with readers and I think that this just might be the yard stick  to measure in which social media sites writers/authors choose to invest their precious time and even their branding strategy if they have one.  I don’t think this is an easy task but it’s an important one and properly assessing which social media sites an author's potential readers will visit can be difficult at best as well as very time consuming.

BTW – if you think you know all the social media/networking sites that exist and what type of impact they have just take a look at the following Wikipedia links:



The next link provides a list of those with more than 100 million active users:


And then there are the social bookmarking sites:


I also liked the breakdown from an article at the SocialMediaToday website even if the article is from 2012:


Lots to ponder and lots of work to do but in the end writing is still the number one priority so you have a written product to sell or promote.  Ah well, who needs to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.