Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Failed Experiment?

Last Wednesday I threw myself a release party on Facebook for One Great Night. The blog scene for promotion just isn't working for me anymore, if it ever did, so I thought I'd try something new.

Overall, I'd have to say it was a failed experiment. Here's why:

Out of the 81 people I invited, only 11 accepted.

Out of those 11, the night of the party, only four people commented or participated in the discussions I started. At the very end, a few others 'liked' some of the posts, but didn't comment themselves.

The 11 that did respond were friends, which means that I wholly appreciate their support, but I didn't reach any new readers.

However, I will say there were some positive take aways...

*I learned how to create an event on Facebook.
*I learned that I need to keep refreshing my screen and not just posting in order to see any comments in 'real time'.
*Even though a small number accepted, since I started with a low number of invitees, my percentage of 'yeses' was 14%. (Another party I was invited to that week invited 592 guest and had 61 accept, giving an 'attendance' factor of 10%.) So percentage-wise I did better than the other party.
*It was a lot less stressful than coming up with an entire blog post for a release.
*It was fun.

Do I wish I had a bigger turnout? Yes.
Will I try it again? Probably.

In the meantime, I'm wracking my brain to come up with unique promotion ideas that are targeted at readers, rather than writers.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

Available now: One Great Night from The Wild Rose Press.


3 comments:

  1. Darn, if I got an invite I didn't see it. Most of the time I don't even look at the invites. I wonder if others on Facebook are the same way. However, I do create events when I have a freebie and send out the maximum number of invites, which these days I believe is 495. Of that amount, less than 50 respond. Still, word is getting out, and I assume many who don't respond still click to download. I like to send the invite the day before or day of at the earliest, or people will forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb I didn't get an invite either - not that I noticed. But I do wish you continued success with your promotions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks gals. I thought you both were on the invite list, but setting up and event was new to me, so maybe I missed something.

    Also, I know Facebook is getting 'weird' about some posts and what other people get to see. I wonder if it's the same for invites.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.