Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Analyzing Promotion

One Great Night will make its worldwide release on Wednesday of this coming week - January 14.


With my last release (Family Secrets) I did next to zero promotion. I blogged a few times on my own blogs, but didn't do much else. Part of that was laziness, part of that was an experiment of sorts. I kind of wanted to see if the hours of promotion I had previously put into releases mattered.

In looking at numbers, I had a decent amount of sales for Family Secrets, and sales for my other books, including my debut (This Time for Always) continue to be steady. From these results it would seem like my prior attempts at promotion were a bit of overkill. I got basically the same numbers by doing nothing this time around. But there are some other factors to consider here.

By this point I am somewhat of an established author. One Great Night will be my tenth release, so I have a solid backlist. I've done dozens and dozens of new release blogs for my other books, so my name and my work is out there. I write for a small press, so even that debut novel, which was published back in 2008, is still available (new) in both print and e-formats. My publisher does some promotion of its own on new releases.

This time around I pondered what to do for promotion. Do nothing or jump back in whole hog? I've decided to go the middle route. I'll do posts on my blogs about the new release like I did for my last one. But I'm also going to try a Facebook release party. I've never tried an event before on Facebook, so I need to check that out today and get the invites sent out. I am not going to do a long blog tour.

So, we'll see what happens again. Only time will tell.

In the meantime, I am making excellent progress with a new mss. I've gotten into the routine of writing everyday, and am in that stage where I'm keeping a note pad next to my bed for all of those ideas that come to me in the middle of the night.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

2 comments:

  1. Just got my copy! It looks really cute! Good luck with your new release. I can't believe this one's already your tenth book. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.