Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Illusion of Control

One of the best things about being a writer is being able to control what's going on with our characters, in a scene, or with the plot.

This doesn't happen in real life. I was really, really hoping for a White Christmas this year. Not a blizzard, but just a dusting of snow on the ground to cover the dead grass and leftover flowers from fall. But, alas, it wasn't to be. Not only did we not have snow, but the temperatures were hovering close to the fifty mark, making it seem more like Easter than Christmas.

And of course today, now that vacation is winding down and I have to head back to the real world tomorrow after a couple weeks off, I look out my window and see this:


Oh, cozy indeed. But the timing is all wrong. I want to be sitting on the front end of break, knowing I have two weeks to enjoy the coziness of the season. Instead, it's back to work tomorrow, knowing the snow will make the kiddos even more restless about being back in the confines of our classroom walls.

If I were writing this story, things would be a bit different. The snow would have come earlier. The kids will return to school all eager to be back and jump right back into our routines without missing a beat. Ah, yes, the control.

Then again, I've had stories unfold in which I definitely don't feel like the one in the driver's seat. Sometimes the characters take over and do things I never imagined they'd do. Sometimes the plot takes a twist that I never saw coming. Sometimes I have plans to work on one thing, but another idea keeps nudging, beckoning, or imploring me to explore.

At the beginning of break, I sat down, formatted a page, and wrote a bit (not much mind you, but a bit) of a new story. I figured if I got the muse going, I could get some writing done while I was home. Nope. The muse wimped out, and I didn't get any farther than that. However, a new idea keeps nudging me. Telling me to put fingers to keys and get writing. Again, the timing is odd, because the story wanting to burst forth is a Christmas one. Now. After we've de-deced the halls and the season is nearly over. And I'm going back to work.

So we'll see what happens. Who knows...maybe the view from outside will entice me to really do something about the ideas knocking around in my head.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

Coming January 14 from TWRP:
One Great Night

1 comment:

  1. That cover is so cute! And, about being in control, it never happens no matter how hard I try!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.