Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Borrowing

I have friends who talk about and browse Pinterest all the time. For me, I haven't quite got there yet. Mainly because I'm a bit afraid I'll get addicted and it will be one more thing to do on the computer that isn't writing a book. And believe me, I don't need any kind of distractions or procrastinations there.

And while the site itself is a fairly new idea, the theory behind it has a much longer history.

Everyone knows the mark of a good teacher is to take an idea from someone else and make it your own. I love doing this. Conferences are a great place to network and grab ideas. The IL Reading Conference is absolutely my all-time favorite teachers' conference. My curriculum is chock full of things I've garnered from this yearly event.

One of my favorite winter holiday traditions is our Historical Society's Christmas Housewalk. Each year about a half dozen homes in a local neighborhood are opened to the public to tour. On these walks I've gathered a lot of great holiday decorating ideas. Last year, I came across a year round decorating idea, which I implemented this past summer. I'm sure it's not a new idea, but after seeing it in one of the homes on the Walk, I knew I wanted to do something similar in my own home. It's simple, but it's become one of our favorite spaces in our home.



Black framed sepia-tones prints from the places we've traveled to. These aren't pictures of us, but photographs of scenery, monuments, and historic places we've visited. It was fun tracking down old photos for the project this summer, and I can't wait to expand the gallery with more photos of upcoming vacations.

Now with writing, this borrowing from other people can get a bit tricky. After all, no one wants to mess with that little thing called plagiarism. It's definitely not okay to blatantly take someone else's idea or words and use them as your own. However, as we all know, there really aren't all that many unique and original storylines out there. Think back to Freshman English class: You have your basic man vs. man, man vs. nature, etc. How many millionaire/secret baby romances have you read? These days it's shapeshifters and vampires and zombies. It's what we do with those traditional story lines and conflicts that make our stories unique. And with that, the possibilities are endless.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

2 comments:

  1. Yes, there are only so many plots to choose from, but it's our own takes that make the difference. Your gallery looks lovely, but my DH would have a heart attack at all the holes in the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your picture gallery - looks wonderful. I especially like the command strips, because I change my mind too often on where to put stuff!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.