Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Cold and Flu Season

It's that time of year when everyone seems to be sick. So far, I've been fortunate to escape with a brief head-cold a few weeks ago. Hopefully, that will be all I come down with this year.

It got me to thinking though, having a character in your story feeling under-the-weather can be a good way to show something about the hero and heroine. I'm not saying to have either one puking their guts out for three pages (ugh and yuck), but if say one comes down with a cold, how does he/she handle it? Do they toughen up and power through? Do they curl up on the couch with tea and a blanket? Do they take to their bed and hide away?

How does their counterpart handle the situation? Do we see a softer, more tender side of the hero while he cares for the heroine? Perhaps he brings her soup or her favorite movie to watch. Do we see a stronger side of the heroine? Even though she's feeling poorly, she doesn't let it get in the way of what she needs to accomplish.

Giving our characters everyday situations to deal with can make them seem more human, and thus more relatable to our readers. Again, we don't want pages and pages of mundane life. (We get enough of that in our own lives, right?) But these types of situations can be great, simple character trait revealers.

Hope you are staying healthy this season.

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

2 comments:

  1. Yes, getting a character sick can show a human side. Just don't give the character measles! That's all I hear about lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's everywhere.

    (And I jinxed myself writing this post...I came down with another cold. Arghh.)

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.