Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Making Progress

It's about three and a half weeks into 'official' summer vacation, and I am pleased to say I'm making some progress on my WIP.

Back in April I started a new project and made some decent headway until May rolled around and 'real' life intruded. There my story languished at about 5,700 words until I picked it up again in June.

Since the middle of June, I've logged a total of about 11,700 words, so basically I've written about 6K since I started back with it.

In a word count sense I am definitely making progress. However, the story seems to be dragging a bit. I'm pretty sure I know where I want to go by the end, but it's certainly meandering along the way. At least I think it is. Like with my last book, I'm writing this one in a very linear fashion. Before, I'd jump around in the story, writing scenes, even if they were out of order, as the muse struck me. This time, I'm once again going start to finish, with no stops or editing along the way. I did do a read-through when I picked up the book in June since I hadn't looked at in in a month, but other than that each day (And I've been pretty faithful with my daily routine.) when I open the mss for each new writing session I pick up where I left off the day before.

There's a little girl in the book, and I'm trying to make sure the 'cuteness' of her portion of the story doesn't overshadow the sexual tension and attraction between her dad (the hero) and the heroine. I guess only time will tell if I've struck the right balance.

So for now, I'll continue forward, letting the story and characters take me where they will. As we all know, once the first draft is done, there's still plenty of time to get the story right during a lengthy editing and revising process. As long as those words are adding up at the moment, I'm happy!

I've also compiled a list of other writing-related things I need to get done: some cleanup on my web-site, a few author profiles I need to update, etc. Eventually I'll get to those things...because there's a lot of summer still ahead!

Until next time,

Happy Reading!

Debra
www.debrastjohnromance.com

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're getting somewhere, Debra! I'd hoped to get my book done by now, and I'm closing in on it, but running off to Wisconsin on vacation for over a week slowed me down. No decent writing conditions there. Wish I had a desk there, but nowhere to put it. Besides, so many other things to do that kept getting in the way.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.