Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Friday, June 26, 2015

Why the eReader Platform Matters



I’ve been looking into the various “unlimited” reading options available to me as both a reader and a writer and one of the obstacles, especially as a reader, is the eReader device.  Not all unlimited services accomodate the eReader platforms as well as one might expect in the digital age.  Even when checking out eBooks from my library I have to be careful because not all eBooks are available for all platforms.

I found a fascinating article on www.cnet.com comparing the three “top” eBook subscription services and the platforms that can accommodate them.  Here’s the link:


As a writer, I just think it’s important at this point in time to make your material available on as many platforms as possible which is why the emergence of publishers such as Gatekeeper Press, which I mentioned in a previous post, is so important for the Indie author.

You can still take the DIY approach to making your work available on all platforms but as with anything else when you are “self-employed” (and that is usually the case whether you are Indie or not) as a writer you have to pick where you spend not only your money but your time.  I think that it comes down to a simple question of do you want to spend your time writing or all the other tasks that are part of self-publishing?

The two main reasons the eReader platform is so important center on distribution and discoverability.

A recent article in Publishers Weekly revealed some interesting perspectives from German publisher Georg Reuchlein regarding discoverability, especially with regard to how technology is reshaping the publishing business and, I believe the discoverability process, and it’s not just social media that matters.  Booksellers and librarians are still critical partners of both publishers and writers in helping readers discover the writer and their work.  Here’s the link to the article:


Social media is obviously important and it can rev up an author’s media campaign in amazing ways but if your book isn’t available on the device that your reader uses and more importantly, prefers to use, then the reader might lose interest, especially in the competitive romance genre.  I know because I’ve done it myself, especially if it’s a new author I haven’t discovered yet.

Ah, there’s that discoverability factor.  It’s best not to put anything in the way of the reader and getting your work into the reader’s hands or electronic device.

1 comment:

  1. I've found cnet very helpful in a number of ways. Also, it's a site I can trust!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.