Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Happy Easter! by DL Larson

The Easter Bunny should be showing up in a few days from now. Our church always hosts an Easter Egg Hunt after church services. It's usually a wild fray and dash to find the eggs scattered through-out our church building. Occasionally it has been held outside, but being in northern Illinois, the weather can never be trusted, so our hunt is held indoors and the kiddies have a great time exploring rooms normally not open to them.

I'm continuing with my 'throw-back Thursday,' theme I started last week. Below is a picture of me in 1958 with my dad and our pet beagle, whose name I don't recall. As one might suspect, we are ready for Easter Sunday.


The other reason I dug out this old picture, is for my dad's 90th birthday. My family is putting together an album for him. We hope to cover 9 decades of pictures. No easy task, but fun just the same.

Another favorite of my dad's is the recipe following. He can no longer eat it because of his gluten free diet. But if anyone is looking for a quick, scrumptious treat for Easter brunch, try this!
It has 2 names: Cream Cheesy Strudel or ...Williamsburg Bread!
(we simply call it 'that cheesy coffeecake thing!'

2 8 oz. tubes refrigerated crescent rolls
2 8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese, softened (1 works too - won't have as much filler)
1 egg OR 1 egg yolk (whichever you prefer)
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar, plus 2TB sugar set aside
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional

Arrange one tube of crescent rolls in the bottom of an ungreased 13x9" baking pan.
Mix cream cheese, egg, 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla. (I use a hand mixer)
If you want it sweeter - add 1TB sugar at a time.
Spread cream mixture over the crescent rolls.
Cover with the remaining crescent rolls.

In a separate bowl, mix:
1/4 tsp.cinnamon
2 TB sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Sprinkle this mixture over the top layer.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes
or at 375 degrees for 11 to 13 minutes.

Let cool and cut into squares to serve. Makes 1 to 2 dozen.
* I usually add fluffy white frosting to the top after cooling - very lightly, like
a glaze. Enjoy!


Happy Easter ~

Til next time ~

DL Larson
www.DLLARSON.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.