Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Spring-Fling Writers Conference! by DL Larson

Many have their bags packed for a weekend of learning, networking and connecting with other writers for this weekend's Spring-Fling Writers Conference in Hoffman Estates, near Chicago. Agents, editors and publishers will be in attendance, and many participants have pitch sessions with at least one.

My best advice is to relax! Yes, relax. I used to be a nervous wreck when it came my turn to talk to a professional about my work. I still don't enjoy the process, but I've learned editors, and publishers and agents, oh my! are quite friendly!

2. Memorizing your pitch can be self-defeating. Dialogue and eye contact work much better.

3. Be yourself. When I'm nervous, I tend to shut-down, whisper as if I have laryngitis. Silly, I know. And I wanted to kick myself afterwards. What happened to rowdy and outspoken, Deb, I wondered. Now, I understand worse case scenario is a BIG NO, and understanding that calms my nerves. I have plenty of experience with rejection letters. It is not the end of the world. If the professional I talk to is not interested in my work, it doesn't mean I'm a failure. It simply means this is not a good fit.

4. Understand you are searching for a good agent/editor FOR YOUR BOOK/CAREER. Compare it to finding the perfect pair of shoes. You must try on several pairs before you find a good fit!

5. What have you found to help when talking to an agent or editor? Share with us if you have time before you leave for the conference!

If you are going to Spring-Fling, maybe I'll see you there!

Til next time ~

DL Larson
www.DLLARSON.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.