Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Audio Books by Margot Justes



I’m thinking of putting Blood Art out as an audio book. Let’s start with the fact that I’m technically challenged, and am in fact a luddite. Such a lovely word for such a technically challenged person, but to be fair I’m much better that I was. On the other hand, I could only improve...you get the drift.

However, a friend thought I should try it. What did I have to lose? Nothing except a great deal of time, and what is left of my sanity.

I followed her instructions and went on ACX, an Amazon company that will handle everything once you register the book, and hook up with an ACX authorized narrator/producer. Simple, right? Nope. Not for me.  Not at all.

ACX has a list of approved narrators, and the field has to be narrowed down to age, voice, accent, male, female, etc...all the criteria that would fit my story perfectly.

The next step is to select a narrator-did I say that getting all the criteria is time consuming... Selecting the narrator takes even more time and patience. You listen to countless voices until you find the perfect one. The next step after the narrator selection is sending the all important e-mail and request an audition. Keep in mind, even if you have selected the narrator, it doesn’t mean the narrator will take you on.

So far, I registered the book. There are option on payment to the narrator; royalties only, that means the narrator would receive 20% of the sale of the audio book, I would
receive  20%, and I would be tying up the rights for 7 years. Another option would be to offer a small stipend and royalties. The other option is to pay the narrator/producer up front, and I’d keep 40% of each sale. The rates are anywhere between $100 to $400 hundred dollars an hour. According to ACX, my book would take 9 to 10 hours to produce.

It is an interesting learning process, and we’ll see how far I get.

Cheers,
Margot  Justes
Blood Art
A Hotel in Paris
A Hotel in Bath
A Fire Within
www.mjustes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.