Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Making the most of a Writer's Magazine by DL Larson

My RWR issue has been on my kitchen island for several days now. I haven't moved it for fear it will get lost in my office and I won't remember to read it. The May 2015 issue of Romance Writers Report has wonderful information in it. This issue the 2015 RITA and Golden Heart Finalists are listed. Windy City member, Sonali Dev is a RITA finalist with her debut book, A Bollywood Affair.

Congratulations, Sonali!

Also mentioned in the May issue, are the authors who passed away this last year, including Cathy Linz, a Windy City member. Cathy was one of the first people I met when I joined Windy City. I remember her red cowboy boots and friendly smile. She teased me about my big book and how it weighted down the gift bags that were handed out to the librarians and book sellers at our Appreciation Dinner. The year was 2005. I was glad to see Cathy was remembered on the RWR list, and at the same time, I wanted to see a whole page devoted to her. She was such a HUGE part of why I stayed connected with the Windy City chapter.

Several other articles caught my attention too. Here's just a few:
'How to SUCK at Self-Promotion."
"But they mean well! When People Are Too Helpful."
"Breaking Free of Distractions"
"Scene Stealers"

If you do not currently subscribe to a writer's magazine, I urge you to. Each month valuable and applicable information is at your fingertips. I may not always read my writer's magazines the day they arrive, but I always read them. And I always, find something worthwhile and uplifting to store away in my writer's tool kit to use when its needed.

So, my grandkids just left and I'm too tired to work on my WIP. Sounds like the perfect time to sit back and read RWR.

Til next time ~

DL Larson
www.DLLARSON.com

 

1 comment:

  1. I used to subscribe to tons of writing magazines. I never had time to read them, so I stopped the subscriptions. That way I had more time to actually write.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.