Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Are You Wandering in the Wilderness?! by DL Larson

Have you ever stood around wondering, waiting for something good to happen in your writing career, thinking things are going too slow?

I feel I'm always waiting for something to change. About the time something does change, I realize I'm not ready! It's actually the forces that be waiting for me!
Take my next manuscript for example. I thought it was ready for editing. I'd been searching for an editor for a few months now. But I've also been busy with other matters, mostly writing my paranormal romance series, and hadn't really taken a final look at my latest manuscript in my historical series. When I did, I discovered many things. Mostly ... I wasn't ready for an editor.

1. I'm old school in keeping my files and realized I had yet to put all my chapters together into one giant file to complete my manuscript! Oops!
2. Trying to insert numerous chapters together into one file is grueling. Correcting the page numbering ... well, let's just same I'm glad I have no broken windows and I'm not bald, yet. I have four more chapters to insert and I just can't do that to myself right now. I gave myself a few days off. I call it a 'cooling down' time. I just hope I don't forget how I did the other sixteen chapters.
3. I haven't finished that final read through - the one where you pretend you are the editor/publisher! It's amazing how problems jump off the page when I step into someone else's shoes. I haven't found too many hotspots, but I'm glad I noticed them BEFORE I sent my work to an editor.

Sometimes I amaze myself! I think I'm ready for the next big step and become antsy waiting for something to happen only to realize I'm not nearly as organized as I thought I was. I suppose that is human nature, but good grief, I had completely forgotten a few steps. Really important steps, too!

There's a saying, 'we spend most of our lives in the wilderness, waiting and wondering why we're stranded, blaming God for not helping us out, only to realize it is God waiting on us!'

Well, I've seen the error of my ways and have a huge task to complete. I wish all the work was behind me, but I know too, the journey is a story in and of itself. I learned a great deal about page numbering this last week. If anyone is having trouble with re-numbering, let me know, I may have a solution for you.

No matter where you are in your writing career, remember to enjoy the journey!

Til next time ~

DL Larson
www.DLLARSON.com

3 comments:

  1. DL, I used to write chapter by chapter like that with each in its own file. I certainly was a chore to compile everything.

    Good luck!

    Sometimes our wanderings teach us valuable lessons, don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm not organized. I'm hopeless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we become so focused on one thing, the other stuff fades into the background. I like telling myself that, anyway!! :)
    Thanks for stopping by ~

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.