Book Beat Babes

Book Beat Babes

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Holiday Season and Rum Balls by Margot Justes


Focus and organization seem to be missing during the holiday season. I had such plans to accomplish so much, and I seem to be spinning my wheels and going nowhere.

Writing is out, focus is out, organization is out-what’s left you ask? Well, drinking coffee is definitely in, but that is about it as far as work-as in writing-is concerned.

There are holiday lunches with friends, family outings, and all the other wonderful stuff that happens around this time of year. I love all of it, and am grateful that I have family and friends, and am able to celebrate and be with them. There is baking, and cooking, and decorating too. That all takes time, but I used to do all that and stay focused.

I’m an indie author and have self imposed deadlines, and schedule my time accordingly. At least the writing part, however marketing should have a continuous presence, and I let that slide-not a good thing.

Just like for Santa, this week I made a list, and guess what? I didn’t stick to it. This morning I revised it, and we’ll see what happens by week end.

Part of the problem seems to be the fact that this time last year I was still gainfully employed, and had to be organized, this year there is a fantastic sense of freedom, because I have retired from my paying job. Now I have to focus and remind myself that I would really like to make a living writing, and have to work no matter the time of year.

In the meantime, on with good cheer. I thought I’d share some of my favorite holiday recipes, and start with rum balls. They are yummy.

Rum Balls:
2 1/2 cups of ground Vanilla wafers
5 1/2 cups of ground walnuts ( I use a food processor for both the wafers and nuts)
1 cup of honey
1 cup of rum (I use dark rum)
1 cup or as needed of powdered sugar
Mix all ingredients well. Let rest covered in bowl for a couple of hours. I've even left overnight.
Form into balls and roll in powdered sugar. ( I use a teaspoon to scoop out the mix)
Set on foil or plastic wrap and let dry a couple of hours, put on serving plate, sprinkle more powdered sugar on top and enjoy!

Cheers,
Margot  Justes
A Hotel in Paris
A Hotel in Bath
Hot Crimes Cool Chicks
www.mjustes.com

 

3 comments:

  1. Margot...I think at this time of year it's okay to let go of the usual routines and just embrace the season! Spending time with family and friends to relive memories and make new ones is so important. So go ahead and put 'real life' on hold and enjoy the magic and the wonder of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still putting everything back after painting and carpeting. It's taking forever. Christmas cards, Christmas decorating and sales tax all need doing yet.
    m
    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra,
    It really is a wonderful time of year, and I love spending time with friends and family. I never miss an opportunity.
    Morgan,
    Cleaning up after a major project is a pain, especially this close to the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE COMMENT HERE.